Chocolate & Ginger Mini Muffins
Yes, it is true, it is about time I posted these outrageously delicious mini muffins on the blog. They have been photographed and posted a couple of times on Facebook. The trouble is I have been so busy making batch after batch that I just haven’t had a moment to spare. They are quick, easy and perfect every time. I pop them into small boxes and take them to work with me. I spend three days a week at a glorious interior, lifestyle shop, Jo&Co Home, in Wadebridge, Cornwall. These mini muffins are sought out when colleagues get a little peckish. I chose to make mini muffins, not the larger variety, because they are perfect for a little snack when something decadent is called for. And you can always have a couple at a time and not do yourself any harm. So give yourself a huge treat and make a batch. I suspect you too will become hooked on these little morsels of deliciousness.
Preparation: 45 minutes
Makes about 30 mini muffins
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
2 tablespoons warm water
250 grams thick rolled oats
60 grams brown sugar
½ teaspoon sea salt (vanilla salt if possible)
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/4 teaspoon cardamon
2 tablespoons cacao
60 ml date or maple syrup
250 grams applesauce
80 grams walnuts, chopped
60 grams stem ginger, chopped
60 grams dark chocolate, chopped
What to do
Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC
Mini muffin tin lightly greased or lined with paper cases
1. In a small bowl, mix the ground flax seeds with the warm water and set aside.
2. Measure out 150 grams of the oats and put them into the goblet of a blender or food processor and blend to create a course flour.
3. Tip the oat flour into a large bowl and add the remaining oats and sugar.
4. Sieve the baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cardamon, cacao and salt into the bowl. Stir to incorporate all the ingredients.
5. Add the chopped walnuts, ginger and chocolate and stir once again.
6. Add the applesauce and date syrup to the ground flax seeds. Sir to blend the wet ingredients together. Tip this mixture into the dry ingredients and gently fold everything together.
7.Generously fill the muffin cups with the batter.
8. Bake in centre of the oven for 20 minutes, turning once.
9.Remove the baked mini muffins from the tins and allow to cool on a rack. Store in an airtight container. They keep well for several days.
Whole Food Plant Based Tip: These chocolate and ginger mini muffins are extremely low in fat. The fat is delivered to us in the whole package, with the symphony of nutrients contained in the walnuts.