Today I needed something warm and spicy and cleansing. So what was in the pantry and fridge? There was some kale, a couple of carrots, and as always ginger and garlic. A good start, add some spices and off we go. It is such a good feeling to create a delicious and simple soup in about half an hour with pantry items and some fresh veggies. I only had enough ingredients for 2 to 3 good portions so next time I will be doubling the recipe to serve 4 to 6 people.
Serves: 2 – 3
Time: 30 minutes
3 cup Tuscan kale
2 medium carrots
1 clove of garlic
1 tablespoon fresh ginger
¼ teaspoon turmeric
¼ garam masala
Pinch of cayenne
1 veggie stock cube
1 cup water
1 cup coconut milk
1 lime, ½ zest and ½ juice
Little cilantro (optional)
Salt and pepper
What to do
1. Boil a kettle and dissolve one stock cube in one cup of water. Set aside.
2. Remove stems and slice kale into shreds. Grate the carrots. Grate the ginger on the fine side of the grater and finely chop the garlic.
3. In a medium saucepan gently sauté the garlic, add a little water, just to stop the garlic from sticking. Add the dry spices and stir pan for a few moments, take care not to burn the spices. Toss in the carrots and continue to stir. Add the ginger and carry on stirring.
4. After a few minutes of stirring the pot add the kale and vegetable stock. Bring to a gentle simmer.
5. It will take about 5 – 8 minutes to soften the carrots and kale, so while you wait, zest and juice the lime and chop a little cilantro.
6. When the carrots are almost cooked to your desire add the lime juice and zest, a little chopped cilantro and coconut milk. If you like you can add more than one cup of coconut milk. Adjust the seasoning and continue to simmer until the flavors are well blended.
7. Serve with chunks of warm and crusty whole grain bread.